from Epicurious, makes 12 muffins
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon raw green (hulled) pumpkin seeds (pepitas), divided
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice pumpkins in half and scoop out seeds. Place halves face down on a baking sheet, and roast till soft. Peel off pumpkin skin and measure out 3/4 cup pumpkin. Freeze the rest to make more muffins later.
2. Soak raisins in hot water 5 minutes, then drain.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar, pumpkin, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined, then stir in raisins and 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds.
5. Divide batter among muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining seeds. Bake until a wooden pick comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly on a rack.