from Martha Stewart, serves 4-6
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound grape or cherry tomatoes, halved if large, or plum or beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick, or a combination
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or basil leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out puff pastry to a 12-inch square; transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream and mustard and season with salt and pepper. Spread sour cream mixture evenly over pastry. Fold over 1/2-inch border on all sides and press edges to seal. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter over medium-high. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are very soft, 5 minutes. Arrange onions evenly over sour cream mixture on pastry. Top with tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bake until pastry is golden brown and crisp, 25 minutes. Let cool slightly. Top with goat cheese and herbs before cutting into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.