from thekitchn.com, serves 4-6
1 pound finger-sized okra
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 chipotle in adobo, roughly chopped (seeds removed, if desired)
1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Heat a grill to high heat. If your grill grates are so wide that the okra might fall through, use a vegetable grilling pan or spear the prepared okra on skewers.
2. Prepare the okra by slicing each one down its length, stopping just short of the top. This helps the okra cook more evenly and creates more crispy bits. Toss the okra in a mixing bowl with the olive oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. (If needed for grilling, spear the okra on skewers, like kebabs.)
3. Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, chipotle, adobo sauce, lime juice, and the salt in a blender or in the measuring cup of an immersion blender. Blend until thoroughly combined. Taste and add more adobo sauce, lime juice, or salt, to taste. Transfer the sauce to a small serving cup.
4. When the grill is ready, spread the okra out in a single layer over the grill (or in the grill pan). Cover and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove the cover and flip the okra to grill the other side. Continue grilling, flipping as needed, until the okra are evenly grilled on all sides, another 3 to 5 minutes (5 to 7 minutes total).
5. Transfer the grilled okra to a serving plate and serve with the chipotle sauce. Okra is best if eaten immediately, while still piping hot from the grill.