from The Moosewood Cookbook, serves 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 6 cups eggplants, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt (possibly more, to taste)
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, minced (any color)
- 1 cup almonds, chopped, lightly toasted
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese, packed
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 jar of salsa
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Add onion, and sauté for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add eggplant, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is soft.
- Add garlic and bell pepper. Stir and cook 5 minutes longer, or until the pepper is tender. Taste to correct salt.
- Remove from heat; stir in almonds and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Moisten each tortilla briefly in water then place approximately 1/4 cup filling on one side and roll up. Gently place the filled enchiladas in a baking pan, and pour a full jar of salsa over the top. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until heated through. Serve hot, with beans, rice, and green salad.