from Martha Stewart, serves 10
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 8 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken or vegetable stock, plus more if needed
- 4 pounds roasted Seminole squash/pumpkin cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 large waxy potatoes, such as Yukon gold (about 3 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound peeled roasted chestnuts
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Up to 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the stock, pumpkin, potatoes, and chestnuts; simmer over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly.
In batches, process mixture in a food processor until smooth (if soup is too thick, gradually add more stock). Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in cream to taste, and garnish with pumpkin seeds, if desired.