- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red thai chili paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemon grass
- 2 1/8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and butter over low heat. Cook garlic, shallots, and lemongrass in oil until fragrant (be careful not to burn the garlic). Add chili paste, stir to coat. Stir in chicken stock, coconut milk, and pumpkin; bring to a boil. Cook until pumpkin softens.
- In a blender, blend the soup in batches to a smooth or slightly chunky consistency, whatever you prefer. Serve with basil leaves.